After the government's recent announcements, British Triathlon Federation (BTF) will confirm their new event rules in the coming weeks. We assume the race will proceed on 13th June, but that it will have to be a Covid-secure, socially-distanced event.
There were many Covid-secure races run last autumn and the BTF has shared best practice, which we will adopt to keep everyone safe. We expect the key changes to include:
- The spirit of the race will be participation, not competition. It will be run as a race, but the focus is getting everyone back into the sport.
- Rather than a single arrival time, we will run the race in waves and require you to turn up for a specific time. You will be helped through registration, transition and to the start of the race without being bunched up. You will be able to choose the same wave as a friend – we will arrange this in due course.
- There will be no briefing on the day. The briefing, route information, health questionnaire, etc. will all be sent ahead of time and it will be your responsibility to digest this before arrival.
- There will be much more space in transition and we will neutralise transition – meaning that it will not be timed – to allow social distancing without pressure.
- We will amend some of the route to avoid points of high footfall and ensure there are no bottlenecks.
We do appreciate that many of you will have struggled to train and obviously most people will not have been able to swim over the winter. As a result, we may include the option of a shorter, 200-metre swim leg.
We will of course issue much more detail in the run-up to the race.
We hope you are well and motivated to stay fit over the coming months. You’ll be pleased to know we have already secured a host of prizes for you!